Before I say to much about this quilt I just want to say that I had a struggle with this quilt, and my personal opinion is that the pattern had some errors and short shortsightedness, but that's just based on my experience and yours might be different. The first issue is that I believe the uneven nine patch blocks should have actually been a quarter to a full half inch larger in order for this pattern to work better. The size they are made to does not give you enough room to trim the rows down to what they ask and still have a perfect 1/4" seam allowance. I wound up with a lot of extra background. Normally I would have just trimmed to the perfect 1/4" anyhow but because of the pieced border I didn't want to make my center to small. There is at least one error in the pattern concerning the inner borders. If anyone is making this quilt and can't find the error just comment or message me and i'll try to explain. I just really had a lot of trouble with the size of this quilt. Things just kept not being the right size. I really struggled to get the flying geese border on because it was just a bit to long but not so long that I could just take one of the flying geese out. It was frustrating.
If I did this quilt again, (which I most likely will eventually since I'm not happy entirely happy with this one) I would either A) make the center squares a quarter to a half inch larger and see if that fixed the excessive seam allowance issues or B) I would make the center squares the size specified but go ahead and make the perfect seam allowance anyhow and then I would either adjust the sashing width to make it the correct size, or if I got really lucky just subtract a flying goose from the sides if that math worked out better and C) I would not use the method that they suggest to make flying geese because it leaves no seam allowance and I was unable to trim my geese at all. Instead I would use my Eleanor Burns Flying Geese ruler. I'm not a crazy point Nazi. Its just some of the points are way off (some more than a quarter inch!) and I hate when my quilts look like I don't know what I'm doing, especially since the original quilt is so beautiful. I'm also hoping that maybe once it's quilted it might hide, or minimize the severity of some of the mistakes.