Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Baltimore Beginnings

I have been spending the lions share of my time working on my Baltimore challenge quilt. I've also spent a lot of time trying to decide if I wanted to share it here while it's in progress before I show it at guild. It seems odd since it's like a "competition" to show it before it's through, but I decided to do it anyhow.


This is what I have so far, but there is still a lot to go. I'm making a lot of decisions as I go, so I really don't know exactly what the final product will look like, but cross your fingers it will all work out!

Monday, July 15, 2013

Dogs in Baltimore

Ever since I started quilting I have been on the look out for the perfect Scottie Dog quilt pattern. Then I stumbled across a post at Molly Flander's Blog and I knew that the time was now!

Aren't they too cute?! They are foundation pieced. The bodies are Chicopee and the dog and background are Essex yarn died linen. I love how the linen makes it look like the dog has some texture. It's so much fun!


I think I've made 12 so far. I haven't decided on a setting yet so I don't even know how many I'm going to wind up making or what it will be like in the end. I do this often where I just dive in and see where I get at the end.

Both of my guilds are doing challenge quilts. One of the guilds is doing polka-dot quilts and the other guild is doing Baltimore quilts. I have been giving thought to both as I would like to participate in both. I'm pretty much just waiting to stumble across the right idea for the polka-dots, but for the Baltimore I have been making a list of what I think of when I think of Baltimore. Now I have a pretty good list...but I'm not 100% sure what to do with it. I know I want to do an art quilt but I don't know how to get all the different elements into it. Hopefully I'll have a breakthrough soon!

Monday, July 8, 2013

Quilt Piece Storage

I was cutting fabric for a quilt I'm going to be starting. I'm making 20 foundation pieced blocks and each block requires 15 pieces, so 300 pieces total. I started thinking before I even started cutting about how I would keep all these pieces in order. When you have 3 cats you know better than to ever leave anything out. I always go directly to Ziploc sandwich bags, but I would need 15 bags and I couldn't reuse them because I would have to make piece is inside (A1, C3, ext) and that seemed a bit wasteful. Then I remembered something my husband had made for me when I was making the Brick Quilt.


He made me these little sleeves that I could slide the stacks of fabric for a row into. Each unit has 3 pockets, so for my Brick quilt he just numbered the pockets 1 through 35 (the number of rows). I just flipped them over and wrote on the back to reuse them for this project.

All you have to do to make one is take a piece of paper, he used printer paper, and fold it in half. Staple the two short sides closed and then space out two sets of staples in the middle to create the 3 pockets. This set up worked well for the bricks, which where 2.5" and also worked for the foundation pieces since they are smaller sized. Obviously you could adjust the size of the pockets to fit a certain piece size, but I think this method is probably best for pieces around this size. So a piece of paper and 8 staples in all. Still way cheaper than a Ziploc bag and I think it's easier to keep these all together.

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Women of Courage Month 4


Here it is, month 4 of the Women of Courage BOM. I think this is the last month of blocks that are duplicate pattern to a previous month, and also the last month where it's two of the same block. I'm now a third of the way through.